Tuesday 16 November 2021

Manics Top 50s - 15th - 16th Nov 2021

Two more charts to add to the pile as we're almost up to the magic number of 68 that we had last time.  From Despair To Where joins the 50 point club in the first chart, while Blank Diary Entry picks up only its second pick....and the first one was the very first new chart so it's had quite a wait!  But both charts here have an 'in their own words' section, so take it away: 

Between Lifeblood and Send Away The Tigers (I’m 18 there, ‘06), there was a Canadian alt-music radio show that, after a segment about Richey, played ‘A Design For Life’. The song blew me away, and I looked into the band. ‘The Bible’ is/was a very important album for me personally, I got it on white vinyl. I always liked ‘Everything Must Go’ a lot, though I was really blown away by TUVL, I found it very interesting musically. The melancholia, the disco tinge, so much there.

When I’m playing the guitar and singing, I often go to the Manics’ songs. Complicated Illusions is one I've been polishing up recently. I’ve learned most of them through the years.

Richey Jones @RicheyJones1234
1. From Despair To Where
2. A Design For Life
3. Motorcycle Emptiness
4. Yes
5. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
6. Faster
7. Roses In The Hospital
8. This Is Yesterday
9. Found That Soul
10. La Tristesse Durera (Scream To A Sigh)
11. Life Becoming A Landslide
12. Enola/Alone
13. Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky
14. Show Me The Wonder
15. PCP
16. Everything Must Go
17. Peeled Apples
18. Kevin Carter
19. Australia
20. 4st 7lb
21. Complicated Illusions
22. Revol
23. Archives Of Pain
24. Ready For Drowning
25. Blank Diary Entry
26. Intravenous Agnostic
27. Anthem For A Lost Cause
28. Ocean Spray
29. The Everlasting
30. No Surface All Feeling
31. Methadone Pretty
32. Tennessee
33. Motown Junk
34. Stay Beautiful
35. Die In The Summertime
36. We Her Majesty's Prisoners
37. Diapause
38. Theme From MASH (Suicide Is Painless)
39. She Is Suffering
40. You Love Us
41. The Masses Against The Classes
42. Of Walking Abortion
43. Journal For Plague Lovers
44. Marlon JD
45. Door To The River
46. Further Away
47. So Why So Sad
48. 1985
49. Sleepflower
50. Underdogs

By Era
Generation Terrorists 8
Gold Against The Soul 5
The Holy Bible 10
Everything Must Go 8
This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours 3
Know Your Enemy 4
Lifeblood 1
Send Away The Tigers 1
Journal For Plague Lovers 3
Postcards From A Young Man 0
Rewind The Film 2
Futurology 0
Resistance Is Futile 0
The Ultra Vivid Lament 3
Others 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second chart sees You Love Us at number 1, perhaps surprisingly for only the second occasion.  But The Holy Bible just pips Generation Terrorists in the By Era chart by 9 to 8.  Again, Andrew has pulled a few words together:

I must say that delving back into the back catalogue and listening to tracks I haven't heard in ages has been a breath of fresh air. Getting away from the bog standard playlist I created god knows how long ago, and listening to the albums in full has given me a renewed love for the Manics.

As a background, I was born in 1990 and was never a music lover as a child, hence I was a latecomer to the Manics. My first experience was SATT so this album always holds a special place in my heart even though it isn't necessarily their standout. I was hooked from this point, bought all the back catalogue etc etc.

I think my list has a fair spread across the albums but ultimately, my list is weighted towards my experiences of their live gigs. That's definitely what swung my No1 anyway, I've got some brilliant memories of screaming You Love Us over and over again in hot sweaty arenas.

Andrew Chinnick @AChinnick90
1. You Love Us
2. Motorcycle Emptiness
3. Born A Girl
4. From Despair To Where
5. Little Baby Nothing
6. Let Robeson Sing
7. Of Walking Abortion
8. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
9. Gold Against The Soul
10. Faster
11. The Secret He Had Missed
12. Yes
13. You’re Tender And You’re Tired
14. No Surface all Feeling
15. International Blue
16. This Is Yesterday
17. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
18. Roses In The Hospital
19. Die In The Summertime
20. Sleepflower
21. Walk Me To The Bridge
22. Prologue To History
23. Love's Sweet Exile
24. Another Invented Disease
25. Slash N' Burn
26. A Design For Life
27. Europa Geht Dirch Mich
28. Solitude Sometimes Is
29. The Masses Against The Classes
30. Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky
31. She Is Suffering
32. Archives Of Pain
33. Imperial Bodybags
34. Empty Souls
35. Rewind The Film
36. Ocean Spray
37. Everything Must Go
38. Enola/Alone
39. PCP
40. This Joke Sport Severed
41. This Sullen Welsh Heart
42. Revol
43. The Girl Who Wanted To Be God
44. Motown Junk
45. Theme From MASH (Suicide Is Painless)
46. Complicated Illusions
47. I’m Just A Patsy
48. Underdogs
49. Divine Youth
50. Umbrella

By Era
Generation Terrorists 8
Gold Against The Soul 4
The Holy Bible 9
Everything Must Go 6
This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours 4
Know Your Enemy 2
Lifeblood 2
Send Away The Tigers 4
Journal For Plague Lovers 1
Postcards From A Young Man 0
Rewind The Film 2
Futurology 3
Resistance Is Futile 1
The Ultra Vivid Lament 2
Others 2

No comments:

Post a Comment